01 February 2010

The magnetic force of footwear: part I


In the last few weeks, Football season has drawn to a close, the President has frozen spending, and we need to make sure our love life is in check for February 14. Currently, times are tough, however I feel the need to take things to an even more serious level and that is to the topic of footwear.

For most gentleman this topic is trite, however there is one important thing I have learned from women, and that is when it comes to men’s style, what women truly inspect are the shoes. The watch may get their attention, the tie may earn a glance, but the shoes get the focus. A good friend of mine came clean to me stating, “I wouldn’t really care if a guy showed up in sweatpants on a date, he just better have good shoes on.” Having heard this over and over again, I thought it might be a good idea to take shoe shopping a bit more serious next time I needed a pair.

While dashing through the shoe department this past holiday season I had a moment. That’s when I saw them. Like walking smack dab into a beautiful woman in a crowded bar, there they were. The shiniest black calfskin loafers I had ever seen. Seeing this pair of shoes was like the moment a Gallardo passes by you for the first time. The vamp of the shoe was elongated and elegant but not obnoxious. Instead they were confident; holding sleek lines like that of a European sports car, they were sophisticated and quite versatile. This pair of shoes could have you walking in them while wearing fitted jeans or a tailored tuxedo. I knew that I needed them, so I moved in for the kill. Turning over the shoe to inspect the sole and mostly the price tag, stamped to the bottom in the leather were two letters “CD.” Damn you Dior, making such alluring men’s garb that is never in my budget. There weren’t too many things I felt I could blow six bills on, however these shoes were starting to making sense (so did the blonde that liked vintage Champagne, another article…another time) after all they were so unique and so well made.

“Snap out of it Aaron!”

As if Jiminy Cricket, the dapper insect came to life and threw the shoe in my face. I had no business buying the shoes at the time, I had quite a list of people to shop for and I didn’t think I should be buying myself too many presents. I went on about my duties, hunting for the perfect gift for friends and family all with the vision of those Dior loafers in the back of my mind.

The holidays came and went and eventually I did return to the store where I first had my encounter. I wasn’t shopping for shoes but a jacket that I needed. The end-of season sale was ongoing and I walked past the shoe department yet again. It was a mess since up to 50% off was happening. Of course I remembered the Dior black loafers, how could I forget them? I poked around and through all the metallic lace ups, the python boots, the white driving mocs, the usual sale shoes appeared. Nothing to my liking except as I wandered away, they showed up; the “Dior’s” were there and they were on sale and they were three sizes too small. “Damn you Dior.” Could fate truly be that nasty…could Jiminy Cricket really be that cruel. It just so happened that fate can be kind and Jiminy can lighten up because my sales girl cam rushing up to let me know she had been holding a pair for someone and they hadn’t returned for them. This was it! My ship had come in. I actually was finding something I wanted and pinned for and it was on sale! This rush, this high, I see why women love to shop! I quickly said, “I’ll take them.” She rushed back with the box and I had no need to try them on, I knew they were my size and as for comfort, well that’s why God invented slippers and these were quite far from slippers.

I tell you honestly that even though the shoes were on sale, they were not something I should be “investing” in currently. After inspecting them I knew they could last me for years, even decades if I took care of them. That is the reason why Europeans tend to create such beloved goods and since they would look superb when paired with a charcoal business suit or a cocktail jacket, I would get some great use out of this pair of pricey shoes. So they sit nearby me awaiting the perfect night to be christened on and I know when I do don them that perhaps, just perhaps…that beautiful woman in the crowded bar may run smack dab into me and her eyes will meet my shoes.


No comments:

Post a Comment